Alex and Phil saw different movies this week so the opening review is a bit disjointed. First Alex shares his thoughts on the independent comedy Ruby Sparks and then Phil opines on the sci-fi remake Total Recall. Spoiler: one of them liked the movie they saw. Then we hear Alex interview Ruby Sparks star Paul Dano where he talks about his directing aspirations, and Ruby Sparks writer/star Zoe Kazan who talks about the myth of the manic pixie dream girl.
- 00:32 – 02:46 – Introduction
- 02:46 – 21:52 – Review of Ruby Sparks and Total Recall
- 22:57 – 31:46 – Censorship Poll and New Question of the Week
- 32:51 – 56:10 – Interview with Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan of Ruby Sparks
- 56:58 – 1:02:23 – Recommendations and Contact Information
- Music for Episode 51 was provided by Jeremy Messersmith. [Website]
- Tracks played included “A Girl, a Boy, and a Graveyard” and “Organ Donor.”
- See Jeremy Messersmith at the Minnesota State Fair on Friday, August 31st.
- For your chance to win the Ruby Sparks soundtrack send an e-mail to Alex@filmmisery.com with the subject line: “Ruby Sparks Soundtrack.” Be sure to include your name and e-mail address in the message.
- We would love you to review us on iTunes.
Question of the Week:
- How would you describe the Summer 2012 movie season? [Vote in the Poll]
- Next week we will be reviewing the new documentary The Imposter.
- We will also be reviewing the listener pick A Town Called Panic.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find Alex on Twitter and Phil on Twitter.
- Like Film Misery on Facebook.