Alex and Phil are joined by F. Scott Fitzgerald expert and Alex’s lovely wife, Katie Carlson, to discuss Baz Luhrmann’s bombastic film The Great Gatsby. Then they look back at Luhrmann’s entire career and discuss what makes his films work and why some of them don’t. Can you guess which film both Alex and Phil adore? Or the Luhrmann film they have drastically different opinions on? Listen now and find out!
- 00:32 – 02:18 – Introduction
- 02:18 – 20:24 – Review of The Great Gatsby
- 21:18 – 28:35 – Intermission and Question of the Week
- 29:29 – 53:31 – Retrospective of Baz Luhrmann’s Films
- 54:11 – 58:54 – Recommendations and Contact Information
- Music for Episode 65 was provided by B.B. King.
- Tracks included “Lucille” and “Tomorrow Night.”
- Follow our guest Katie Carlson on Twitter @emcee_grammar.
- Listen to our Top 5 Movie Musicals podcast here.
- We would love you to review us on iTunes.
Question of the Week:
- Take a Side: Star Wars or Star Trek?
- Vote in the poll to the right and share your comments below!
- Next week we will be reviewing the new film Star Trek Into Darkness.
- We will also be reviewing the avante garde independent film Upstream Color.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find Alex on Twitter, Phil on Twitter, and Katie on Twitter.
- Like Film Misery on Facebook.